Sunday, March 4, 2012

Jennifer Aniston's Girl-Next-Door $141,037 Annual Beauty Regime

Found this article about Jennifer Aniston's beauty routine:

http://shine.yahoo.com/skin-guide/jennifer-aniston-spills-her-secret-perfect-skin-015700082.html

I'm constantly hearing about how beautiful Jennifer Aniston is.  She's the funny, loveable girl-next-door and one of the favorites from pop-culture hit Friends.  Last December, Men's Health magazine even named her the "Hottest Woman of All Time." Say what? Jennifer Aniston, over icon Marilyn Monroe, nemesis Angelina Jolie, voluptuous Christina Hendricks, and everyone else..ever?? Critics have claimed this a major upset.  I'm happy for the girl-next-door, but I do not agree.

However, Jennifer Aniston is a major player in public influence.  She makes her way into our homes, thus forming an impression of women and adding to the concept of what makes a woman desirable.  Countless times, I have heard men express their enthusiasm over how perfect she is; from her body, to her personality, to her sense of humor.  Yahoo journalist decided to take a look into exactly what it takes for pop-icon Jennifer Aniston to remain in tip-top shape.

First of all, I would like to point out that Jennifer Aniston's annual beauty regime clocks in at
"$141,037"or wayyy more than the average american's annual income.  With that kind of money, you could pay for a "four-year" ivy-league education, buy six Honda Accords, or even fly roundtrip from Los Angeles to New York -- in first class -- 44 times!" That seems like an enormous opportunity cost.  Yet, we are not thinking about the cost of the routine when we compare ourselves to the iconic beauty that she represents.  We tell ourselves that it is attainable, when in fact it is entirely unattainable for the majority.  Jennifer Aniston has access to red-carpet treatment, photoshop, meal plans, personalized workouts with top teachers, a crew of appearance specialists, a team dedicated to her skin, a famous hair stylist and plastic surgeon; we have Walmart.  It is not realistic for us to hold ourselves to the same standard of beauty as a celebrity when we do not have access to the same resources.  That would be like trying to make a couture dress out of a trashbag--we can try, but we aren't going to come close.  Furthermore, it is unfair for men to judge beauty against a celebrity such as Jennifer Aniston, or consider her a prototype,  because her annual standards for upkeep cost more than the average household brings in.  What Jennifer Aniston pays on her beauty regime for year, we pay for a house over a lifetime.  

408 Natalie Odisho

4 comments:

  1. Wow that is crazy!!! I have no idea what kinda stuff she can have done for that much money! It's crazy to see what people will do to look good

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that celebrities spend that much money on trying to look beautiful is upsetting. There are so many more productive things that such a great amount of money could be used for. It shows that we place too much importance on other people's opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.... craziness! Anyway, this is so true. I was just thinking the other day, when I was watching American Idol --- "Wow, Jennifer Lopez looks amazing. She's gorgeous! And she looks much much younger than any woman I know over the age of 40!" And then I started thinking, "Wait a sec... Of course she looks so good! I'm sure she spends TONS of money on her skin and stylists and makeup, etc." The average woman probably wouldn't be able to afford even 5% of the average celebrity's beauty regimen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? That is an insane amount of money to spend on beautification and apparently it is worth it. I liked that you touched on the opportunity cost and the reality that there are other, possibly more grand things that could be done with the money. Do you think she spends more than people like Jennifer Lopez?

    ReplyDelete