Here's a new controversy surrounding findings of lead in makeup! This is disturbing because most of the more expensive brands have a higher content of heavy metals! I knew that makeup has some questionable ingredients (fish scales create glitter), but I never imagined substances such as lead! What are we putting on our faces!? When you purchase expensive makeup, you're assuming that you're purchasing something of better quality--something that is not harmful to your health. Ethically, should the beauty industry be required to disclose when they put heavy metals in makeup? Is it natural? While there are limits set as to how much metal makeup may have, what is really safe? There need to be long term studies of metal quantities in makeup to find out what we can safely have as ingredients.
Article on Yahoo: http://shine.yahoo.com/green/heavy-metals-found-many-cosmetics-not-listed-labels-194900866.html
Here is an amazing site I use when picking out my daughters bathing products. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
ReplyDeleteShe has really bad eczema but since I switched to completely natural products for her shampoo and body wash she is doing so much better.
The Yahoo article you reference is frightening! I use MAC products daily and to see some of the harmful ingredients is shocking. At those prices?!? OMG!
I don't understand how these products are legal. Isn't there a governmental department monitoring this? We should start our own social media uprising!
I think the companies have an ethical obligation to disclose their ingredients. Lead is extremely harmful and I cant imagine applying it to your face on a daily basis is a good practice to ensure lasting health. People need to have proper information to make informed decisions; I can imagine if more women knew that 96% of products have some amount of lead, there would be fewer people using makeup on a daily basis. This goes on while people preach about less regulation on the basis of some imaginary self correcting market, but even now with what minimal regulations exist, companies are still slipping harmful chemicals into everyday products.
ReplyDeleteI know that many products that we use daily have many chemical compositions that are not very good for our health. A good example is the antimicrobial soaps that cause nerve damages and skin problems when we use them frequently. This ingredient is call methylisothiazolinone and is found in different products for personal care purpose. Check this website and read more about it:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.naturalnews.com/005342.html
However, the problem is not only for personal care. We eat products with additives and preservatives that put in risk our health. When we go to the supermarket, we have to read all the ingredients and nutritional information to understand what kind of products we are buying for us and our families.
Wow thanks for the info. Would have never thought there was lead in makeup. Makes you wonder what else we don't know.
ReplyDelete